Head of Reference Services -- West Texas A&M University -- Canyon, TX
Head of Reference Services. Cornette Library at West Texas A&M University in Canyon, Texas invites applications for the Head of Reference Services reporting to the Director of Information and Library Resources. The librarian in this position manages the operation of and continuing transition of Cornette Library’s Reference Unit. The library’s Reference Unit provides reference assistance to faculty, staff, students, and community members, library instruction to campus and online students, and maintenance of the library’s website and social media presence. As the leader/supervisor/mentor of Cornette Library’s reference team, which consists of three full-time reference librarians, the person in this position participates in the delivery of reference services, library instruction, and collection development; contributes to library policy through service on Cornette Library’s Library Council; serves on other library and university committees; and serves as a liaison to academic departments.
Required: An ALA-accredited master’s degree in library science is required and seven years of experience as an academic reference librarian, including related supervisory experience and significant experience and comfort in teaching information literacy skills in the classroom. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Candidate must be able to demonstrate the following:
- Strong background in reference service theory, the use of reference tools, and the processes of research and information retrieval.
- Knowledge of pedagogical theory and practice.
- Knowledge of current information literacy standards and practices in higher education, including student learning outcomes and assessment.
- Enjoys working with people and has excellent interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Approachable and a good listener with ability to act as a mentor.
- Tackles opportunities and challenges with enthusiastic but measured approach.
- Proven ability to work well independently and in a team environment, viewing issues from a library-wide perspective with a desire to contribute creative ideas and solutions.
- Adaptable/flexible with ability to organize and prioritize work in a fast paced environment, while meeting deadlines.
- Strong comfort level with information technologies, demonstrating a familiarity with various operating systems and software.
- Strong background in use of MS Word, MS Excel, Adobe Acrobat, and MS Outlook with ability to demonstrate use.
- Knowledge and use of social media.
West Texas A&M University is a public institution on the Texas high plains, near Amarillo. It attracts nearly 10,000 students to its 58 baccalaureate, 39 master’s, and 1 doctoral program. The university is a member of the Texas A&M University System, and provides ample insurance and retirement coverage. Pay rate is commensurate with experience. Review of applications will begin June 26, 2017. Start date for position is September 1, 2017 or later.
To apply for this position, visit http://jobs.wtamu.edu/postings/1802, fill out the electronic application, and attach a substantive cover letter addressing qualifications and interest in the position and a current resume.
A criminal history report will be obtained on position finalists.
Texas law requires that males age 18 through 25 be properly registered with the Selective Service System in order to be eligible for employment.
West Texas A&M University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.