Public Service Librarian -- Baylor Scott & White Memorial Hospital -- Temple, TX
The Public Service Librarian for Baylor Scott & White Health (BSWH) provides reference and online searching services to both professional medical staff and public consumers utilizing the Medical Library's resources to further medical treatment of patients at BSWH. Assists with the overall development of the user education program and deliver user education programs throughout the hospital.
Responsibilities of the Public Service Librarian include, is not limited to, the following:
- Supports medical staff utilizing the medical library by providing reference services and online searching assistance.
- Presents a professional, customer friendly image which encourages professional staff to utilize the library resources.
- Conducts timely and effective online searches which meet the expectations of the library customers.
- Maintains up-to-date professional knowledge of the medical librarian field in order to deliver value added library services to the medical staff.
- Participates in the development and implementation of user education programs.
- Collaborates with peers in the development and periodic improvement of the user education program.
- Contributes to the development of effective course materials for use in delivering the user education program to staff.
- Effectively delivers the user education program to departments throughout the hospital.
- Participates in collection development activities. Reviews literature concerning new resources and make recommendations to the library director for additions to the collection.
- Reviews current collection and make recommendations to the library director for resources that can be removed from the collection.
- Participates in rounding with physicians to take literature search requests and perceive information needs of the staff.
- Maintains accurate records of all online searches performed.
- Supports patients and their families utilizing the medical library by providing reference services, online searching assistance and patient education. Provides information in a format that is easy to understand for the patient and/or the family of the patient.
- Acts as backup to Library Technician to facilitate interlibrary loan borrowing and lending.
- Processes outgoing interlibrary loan requests and maintains appropriate records.
- Notifies clients when items are received, and returns items to lending libraries when no longer required.
- Accurately updates Docline databases as necessary.
The ideal Public Service Librarian will have excellent attention to detail skills and verbal and written communication skills.
Shift/Schedule – Full-Time; M-F, 8 am - 5 pm
Benefits – Our competitive benefits package includes*:
- Immediate eligibility for health and welfare benefits
- 401(k) savings plan with dollar-for-dollar match up to 5%
- Tuition Reimbursement
- PTO accrual beginning Day 1
*Note: Benefits may vary based upon position type and/or level.
Baylor Scott & White Health (BSWH) is the largest not-for-profit health care system in Texas and one of the largest in the United States. With a commitment to and a track record of innovation, collaboration, integrity and compassion for the patient, BSWH stands to be one of the nation’s exemplary health care organizations. Our mission is to serve all people by providing personalized health and wellness through exemplary care, education and research as a Christian ministry of healing. Joining our team is not just accepting a job, it’s accepting a calling!
- Master’s degree required
- Minimum of three years of related work experience required
- Computer literacy required
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products to include: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access
- Familiarity with online databases, books, and journals